January 16, 2020 - 8:58 am - Posted in Sports

A 10-2 Lancers run at the onset of the fourth quarter helped lead Mount Marty to a 67-65 come-from-behind win against 17th-ranked Northwestern College in a GPAC women’s basketball match-up played tonight in Yankton, S.D.

Northwestern lost its third consecutive game and moves to 6-6 in the GPAC, 11-6 overall; the Lancers improve to 5-7 in the conference, 11-7 overall.

Leading by six (36-30) at the half, a Bre Schuiteman three-pointer began an 11-3 run that gave Northwestern its largest lead of the game, 47-33. Devyn Kemble and Taylor VanderVelde also converted three-pointers during the surge. Mount Marty, however, responded with an 8-0 run, holding the Red Raiders scoreless for nearly five minutes, to close the gap to six by quarter’s end, 49-43.

Mount Marty continued its comeback by scoring the first seven points of the fourth quarter and grabbed its first lead since the first quarter, 50-49, on a basket by Molly Koisti. A basket by Sammy Blum put Northwestern back in front on its next possession and the teams traded baskets until the score was tied at 58 with 3:38 left.

Two free throws by Jamie Tebben and a jumper by Ali Kuca put Mount Marty up for good, 62-58, although Northwestern made it a one-point game twice during the final 90 seconds, the final time after a Jada Cunningham three-pointer with 18 seconds left.

Blum led Northwestern with 17 points, followed by Cunningham with a career-best 16 points, including four three-pointers, also a career high. Schuiteman scored 13, hitting three three-pointers, and Alexis Toering pulled down a career-high 14 rebounds. The Red Raiders shot 30% for the game, 39% (10/26) from the arc.

Mount Marty shot 37% for the game, 30% (6/20) from the three-point line; they held a 41-35 advantage on the boards. Tebben led all players with 18 points and both Kuca and Koisti scored 14. Hannah Williams chipped in a double-double with 12 points and 13 rebounds.

Both teams held the lead in a back-and-forth first quarter that ended with a Schuiteman three-pointer to put Northwestern up 15-12. The Red Raiders continued to lead through the entirety of the second quarter, holding as much as a nine-point advantage (31-22) at the 2:41 mark.

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 16th, 2020 at 8:58 am and is filed under Sports. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.